Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: B&G Foods, Inc. recalls Las Palmas Green Enchilada Sauce (19-ounce; All sell-by dates on or prior to December 13, 2013), because the product may contain an undeclared allergen, according to a report by Giant Eagle.
- Allergy Alert Update: Posh Bakery (Santa Clara, CA) recalls Butter Mini Croissants and Chocolate Mini-Croissants (12-pack, 12-ounce clear plastic clamshell containers with Whole Foods Market labels; all best-buy dates prior to and up until July 6, 2011) due to an undeclared egg wash. One allergy reaction has been reported. The recalled baked goods were sold in 26 Whole Foods Market stores in Northern California.
- Food Safety Recall Update: USDA posts retail distribution list for boneless, fully cooked ham products recalled by Carolina Pride Foods, Inc. due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sogo Foods Inc. (San Jose, CA) that a September/October 2010 inspection of the company’s food manufacturing facility revealed misbranding of two products and also determined that products were prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby they may have been rendered injurious to heath.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Mai’s Bakery, Corp. (Monterey Park, CA) that a March 2011 inspection of the company’s manufacturing facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulation for manufacturing, packing, or holding human food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns First Commercial Kitchen, L.L.C. (Waipahu, HI) that a December 2010 – February 2011 inspection of the company’s food processing facility determined that your facility produced acidified foods and revealed that you have significant deviations from the requirements of the Acidified Food regulations, causing the company’s acidified food products to be adulterated, in that they have been prepared, packed, or held under unsanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby they may have been rendered injurious to heath.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns BioSan Laboratories, Inc. (Derry, NH) that a December 2010 – January 2011 inspection of the company revealed significant violations of Current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulations in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements.
- Outbreak Alert (Ontario): One patient at the Guelph General Hospital has died after suffering from a hospital-acquired infection with Clostridium difficile. The hospital declared a C. difficile outbreak on July 5th, after discovering 11 cases in May and June. The outbreak total now stands at 15 cases.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Select Salmon A/S recalls Smoked Halibut (Lot #17411; Best before 15.07.2011), due to evidence of Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Biogan A/S recalls Organic fenugreek seeds (1-kg bags; Best before 05-10-2012, 21-02-2013 and 16-04-2013) because the seeds came from Egypt and may be contaminated with E. coli O104:H4.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Fausol A/S recalls Hornum Sprouts, Asia-Mix (30g; Item #1328), because the product contains fenugreek from Egypt and may be contaminated with E. coli O104:H4.
- Food Safety Recall Expanded (Finland): Raisio Nutrition Ltd. expands its previous recall of Oat Oats, Organic Wheat Paahtopalat product, 260g pack. The recall was expanded to include the Best before date 08/20/2011 and batch ID #L02.25. The recalled packages have been buckling and may be contaminated.
- Food Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0909): Metal strips in calcium tablets with vitamin D3 from Germany, processed in Hungary; distributed to the Czech Republic, Germany and Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0910): Salmonella in frozen pork meat from France; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0912): Undeclared sulphite in frozen prawns from Spain; distributed to Italy.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0915): Undeclared milk ingredient in bread-crumbed fish fillets from France; distributed to Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0917): Aflatoxins in maize gluten with raw material from China; distributed in Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0920): Mercury in sliced swordfish from Spain; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Taiwan): Taipei City health officials report that 5.6% (3 out of 54 samples) of iced snack and beverage ingredients failed tests for “problematic” food additives. Officials have ordered the three offending items – marble-sized black tapioca balls, taro beads, and konyaku – off the market.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Orient Europharma Co. Ltd. recalls Navelbine Injection 10mg/1ml (Batch 1P109), and Navelbine Injection 50mg/5ml (Batches P507 and P508), as part of a worldwide recall due to and out-of-trend result in content of an active ingredient.
- Outbreak Alert (PRC): Spoiled leftovers served at an unlicensed kindergarten has been blamed for an episode of food poisoning that hospitalized 42 children in east Zhejiang Province.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Haigh’s Manufacturing Pty Ltd recalls Haigh’s Aprichoc Chocolates (300g cardboard gift box; Best before 29 OCT 11), due to the possible presence of undeclared nuts. The recalled chocolates were sold in Haigh’s Chocolate Shops in New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.