Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Evergreen Fresh Sprouts, LLC (Moyie Springs, ID) recalls Evergreen Produce Alfalfa Sprouts (4-oz, 16-oz, and 5-lb bag; Expiration Dates from 06 22 through 07 14) and Evergreen Produce Spicy Sprouts (4-oz, 16-oz and 5-lb bag; Expiration Dates from 06 22 through 07 14), because the sprouts may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled sprouts have been linked epidemiologically to a 5-state outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis that has sickened at least 21 people. Lab tests of the implicated sprouts are pending.
- Outbreak Alert: Marler Blog reports an outbreak of E. coli O25 infections that has sickened at least 5 kitchen workers at Camp Lutherhaven in Idaho.
- Allergy Alert: Metro Ontario Inc. recalls Irresistibles brand Cookie Dough & Brownies Ice Cream (Codes AGRT 1759 – BNQ1529 xx.xx 053 11, and AGRT 1759 – BNQ1529 xx.xx 049 11, where xx.xx represents the time stamps in manufacturing), because the product contains undeclared eggs. The recalled Ice Cream was distributed in Québec and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Asda withdraws Asda 6 Croissants (Best before 19 July 2011), because a packaging error has resulted in the packs containing Asda Chocolatines that contain soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Italy): Carrefour recalls certain batches of Ditta Carrefour Prosciutto (ham) after the manufacturer reported Listeria monocytogenes in excess of the levels permitted by law. The recalled ham was sold in Carrefour and other supermarkets and grocery stores. Specific lot numbers and expiration dates were not stated.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Outbreak Alert (Taiwan ex Indonesia): Taiwan CDC reports that two female travelers returning from Bali, Indonesia have been confirmed to be suffering from shigellosis. Ninety-nine cases of shigellosis have been confirmed in Taiwan so far this year; 49 of the cases were imported – 31 from Indonesia, 6 from the Philippines, 3 from Vietnam and 3 from Cambodia.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.