Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Bavan Food Company (Sacramento, CA) recalls Bavan Brand Sugar Rewari (Santra Goli) Candy (10.5-oz plastic bag; Product of India), due to unacceptable levels of lead. The recalled product was distributed in California.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert Update (France): France orders the recall of Thompson & Morgan brand Fenugreek, Mustard and Arugula seeds for sprouting, because the seeds are implicated in an outbreak of 16 E. coli O104:H4 illnesses (8 cases of bloody diarrhea and 8 cases of hemolytic uremic syndrome) in the Bordeaux region. The outbreak strain is the same strain as the German outbreak strain, which – as of June 28th – comprises 4,022 cases of HUS and EHEC in 16 countries (including 47 deaths in Germany and one death in Sweden). The European CDC and European Food Safety Authority report that traceback investigations point to fenugreek seeds from Egypt as the likely source of both outbreaks. The seeds were imported into Germany by AGA SAAT GmbH (Dusseldorf) which, in turn, supplied seeds to Thompson & Morgan. The European CDC and individual government agencies in Europe and elsewhere, are strongly urging consumers to avoid eating all uncooked sprouts.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Welfore Co. Ltd, in response to instruction from the Department of Health, recalls Welfore Senna Forte Tab 17mg, Wei Health Strong Senna Tab 17mg, Legend Senna Extra Tab 17mg, and Senna Forte Tab 17mg (Product of USA), after a sample fails the disintegration test.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected food poisoning outbreaks affecting a total of nine people. One group, consisting of two people became ill after dining at a restaurant in Jordan on June 19th. The second group, consisting of seven people became ill after dining at the same restaurant on June 25th. All of the victims complained of abdominal pain, diarrhoea, fever and nausea/vomiting.
- Outbreak Alert (Taiwan): A 4-year-old boy is in intensive care in a Kaohsiung City hospital after developing symptoms of botulism. Lab tests of the boys serum sample confirmed botulinum Type A toxin; tests of food samples are in progress. This is the third case of botulism reported in Taiwan so far this year. Taiwan CDC reminds the public that any homemade pickled products or vacuum-packaged food should be boiled for 10 minutes prior to consumption in order to inactivate any botulinum toxin that may be present in the food.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Inghams Enterprise Pty Ltd. recalls Brannans Marinated Whole Chicken (All weights; Use by 27.06.11 to 05.07.11, inclusive), due to the presence of undeclared soy, oat, fish, sesame seeds and sulphite. The recalled poultry products were sold exclusively through Aldi stores in New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): McCain Foods recalls McCain Family Pizza Cheese & Bacon frozen pizza (500g cardboard box; Best before Mar 2012 B 090 and Mar 2012 C 090), because the food may be contaminated with metal pieces. The recalled frozen pizzas were distributed nationally to Coles (including Coles online and BiLo), Woolworths/Safeway, Franklins and Independent stores, including IGA and Foodland.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.