Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: MGA Entertainment (Van Nuys, CA) recalls Bratz Makeup Design Sketch Book (produced between November 5, 2010 and February 25, 2011), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Staphylococcus warneri and Staphylococcus intermedius. Finished product testing determined that the eye shadow portion of the product contains elevated levels of bacteria.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall: EKSuccess Brands recalls American Girl Crafts™ Pearly Beads & Ribbon Bracelets Kits (Product of China), because the surface coating on some of the beads contains excessive levels of lead. The recalled kits were sold at Michaels Stores and other retailers nationwide from September 2009 through June 2011.
- FDA Enforcement Action: U.S Marshals, at the request of FDA, have seized probiotic products from UAS Laboratories, Inc. (Eden Prairie, MN) because the company markets the probiotics as drugs. The seized products include DDS Acidophilus, DDS Plus, Probioplus DDS, DDS Junior, and Cran-Gyn DDS, in capsule, powder, and tablet forms.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Nature Pure LLC (West Mansfield, OH) that environmental swab samples taken during a February 2011 inspection of the company’s shell egg production facility were found to be positive for Salmonella Enteritidis. During the initial inspection and a follow-up inspection on February 28 through March 2nd revealed violations of the Prevention of Salmonella Enteritidis in Shell Eggs During Production, Storage, and Transportation regulation (shell egg regulation).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Lumen Soy Foods, LLC (Spring Lake, MI) that a February/March 2011 inspection of the company’s soy protein meatless meat products processing facility revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice requirements in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Cerebral Health, LLC that a February 2011 inspection of the company’s dietary supplement facility revealed that the company failed to comply with the requirements for Current Good Manufacturing Practice (CGMP) regulations for Dietary Supplements, causing your products to be adulterated.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Jensen Tuna, Inc. (Houma, LA) that a January/February 2011 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Jonlly Fruits, Inc (Bayamón, PR) that a September/October 2010 inspection of the company’s fruit juice and fruit juice beverage processing facility revealed serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Sunrise Orchards, Inc. (Goshen, IN) that an October 2010 inspection of the company’s juice processing facility revealed serious violations of the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP) regulation for food.
- Allergy Alert: Brothers Bakery Inc. recalls a number of Brother Bakery brand baked goods (Best before dates up to and including June 12, 2011). Some of the recalled items are mislabeled; others contain undeclared milk, egg or sulphites. The recalled baked goods were distributed to retail stores in New Brunswick.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Tanta Pharmaceuticals Inc. recalls all lots of Junior Strength Acetaminophen Tablets (160mg) and Children’s Strength Acetaminophen Tablets (80 mg), due to reports that the Child Resistant Packaging is faulty. Please navigate to the Health Canada recall notice for details on brands and distribution information.
- Food Safety Recall (Expanded): Tree of Life Canada (Surrey, BC) recalls King James brand Blue Stilton Cheese, 8-kg size units (Product of England; all lot codes and best before dates), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The cheese is mostly cut and sold at retail/deli counters in random weight packages, and has been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall (Norway): Mel Kvelde AS recalls wheat bran (Batch #122011) after the mycotoxin DON was detected in the production batch. The recalled wheat bran was sold only to bakeries and was not available in retail stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Gravenstein Poultry Ltd. recalls Gravenstein Poultry organic chicken (Best before date 01.06.2011), because samples of the poultry were found to contain multi-drug resistant Salmonella.
- Outbreak Alert (Russia): Eleven children, ages 3 to 12, from a children’s home in Kirov have been hospitalized with an acute enteric infection. All of the children are in satisfactory condition.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Germany): As of June 6, Germany has reported 642 cases of HUS (15 deaths), and 1,683 cases of non-HUS EHEC infections (7 deaths), for a total of 2,325 cases (22 deaths) within Germany. Twelve other European countries have reported a total of 31 HUS cases (1 death) and 73 cases of non-HUS EHEC.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0744): Undeclared Brazil nut in nut and raisin mix from Germany; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0747): Undeclared sulphite in sliced mushrooms in brine from the Czech Republic; distributed to Slovakia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0748): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of anchovy from Croatia; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0749): Formetanate in peppers from Turkey; distributed to Austria.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Advisory (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety calls on the food trade to immediately stop the use and sale of 23 kinds of fruit syrup and juice (Annex), which were produced in Taiwan and might have been contaminated with di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), a plasticiser.
- Food Safety Enforcement (Abu Dhabi): Abu Dhabi’s Food Control Authority has ordered the closure of the Hamdan Street branch of Chilis restaurant, after an inspection of the premises found several violations of food safety regulations.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Withdrawal (Australia): Two-litre and 3-litre Coles brand milk (Expiry June 18) and Dairy Farmer two-litre and three-litre milk (Expiry June 19) has been withdrawn from store shelves due to a problem with the homogenization process. This is not a safety issue.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.