Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Safety Recall: Walnut Cheese Company, d.b.a. Avanti Foods (Walnut, IL) recalls mozzarella cheese products manufactured on April 21, 2011 because the products may contain beta-lactam antibiotic residues. A review of the cheese plant’s drug residue screening log indicated that one load of raw milk was not tested for antibiotic residues. The recalled products were sold at grocery stores, pizzerias and convenience stores across Illinois.
- Food Safety Recall: Simply Thick, LLC recalls SimplyThick® thickening gel products manufactured at a food processing plant in Stone Mountain Georgia since June 1, 2009. The plant is currently owned and operated by Thermo Pac, LLC. The recall was triggered after an FDA inspection of the Thermo Pac plant, which determined that the company failed to file with FDA a scheduled process designed to ensure that harmful bacteria of possibly public health significance are destroyed during the manufacturing process. The recalled SimplyThick® products were distributed across the USA and Canada.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Bravo! LLC recalls Bravo! Pig Ears Chews (50-ct. bulk Oven-roasted Pig Ears; Product Code 75-121; Lot #12-06-10), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Bravo! Pig Ears were distributed to retailers on the East and West Coasts between January 1 and February 28, 2011.
- Food Safety Alert: Pacific Cheese has placed a “hold” on 26 million pounds of shredded and block cheese while it conducts an investigation into possible foreign materials in the products. Hilmar Cheese Co., the original producer of the cheeses supplied to Pacific Cheese has identified the possibility that some plastic mesh may have become shredded and mixed in with the cheese from several vats. No recall has been issued as of June 3rd.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Churchill Medical Systems (A Vygon Company) recalls certain lots of 5 hospital-use convenience kits containing Skin-Prep Wipes that were affected by an April 2011 recall initiated by Smith & Nephew. The affected kits were shipped to distributors and hospitals between September 3, 2010 and March 11, 2011.
- FDA Enforcement Action: At the request of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, U.S Marshals seized elderberry juice products that have been distributed by Wyldewood Cellars Inc. (Peck, KS), because the products are unapproved and misbranded drugs.
- Allergy Alert: Jasmine Mediterranean Foods Ltd. (Vancouver, BC) recalls Jasmine Foods Tahini (375 ml, 500 ml and 750 ml; Best before 30 Sep 2011) because the product contains undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was distributed in British Columbia. One adverse reaction has been reported.
- Allergy Alert: Uncle T Food (Richmond, BC) recalls North flavored Pastry brand Black Sesame flavored Pastry (480g packages; all lot codes), because the product contains undeclared peanuts. The recalled pastry was distributed in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario.
- Allergy Alert: Gagan Foods Interntional Ltd. (Delta, BC) recalls all lot codes of Haldirams Nagpur Rasgulla, Gagan Punjabi Wadi Spicy Lentil Chunks, Gagan Aam Papad Candy, and Gagan Coconut Slice, due to the presence of undeclared wheat and/or sulphites. The recalled products were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
- Food Safety Recall: Sweet Accessories Enterprises recalls Mango, Lychee, Sweet Yoghurt, and Blueberry drink concentrates, because the products may contain DEHP. The recalled drink concentrates were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in British Columbia.
- Food Safety Recall Update: Tree of Life Canada (Surrey, BC) recalls all lot codes and best before dates of King James Blue Stilton Cheese, 2-kg and 4-kg sizes, because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was imported from the United Kingdom and distributed across Canada.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Taro Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc. recalls Docusate Sodium Capsules USP (100 mg; Lot #31040225) due to possible contamination with Cronobacter (Enterobacter) sakazakii – a bacterium that is a rare cause of serious or life-threatening infections, particularly in premature infants and other vulnerable individuals.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0735): Diarrhoeic shellfish poisoning toxins in clams from France; distributed to France, Italy, the Netherlands and Spain.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0736): Unauthorized colour Sudan 1 in kebab spice blend dispatched from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0737): Unauthorized colours Sudan 1 and Sudan 4 in chili powder from Tunisia; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0738): Ochratoxin A in paprika powder from Spain, packaged in the United Kingdom; distributed to Spain and the UK.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0739): Unauthorized colours Sudan 1 and Sudan 4 in spices from Germany; distributed to Austria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0740): Ivermectin in frozen cooked beef from Brazil; distributed to the United Kingdom.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0741): Carbaryl in apricots from New Zealand; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0742): Insect larvae in oranges from Spain; distributed to Lithuania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0743): Insect larvae in frozen mushrooms from Romania; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Advisory (PRC): China has suspended imports of 812 products that may be contaminated with DEHP. The list of affected products includes beverages, food and additives.
- Food Safety Advisory (Taiwan): Bakeries in Taipei, New Taipei, Taichung, Yunlin, Tainan and Kaohsiung have been found to be using ingredients that may be contaminated with DEHP.
- Food Safety Advisory (Taiwan): The Department of Health has barred the importation by New Zealand Beef of nearly 100 tons of U.S. beef after finding the banned drug ractopamine in samples of the beef.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.