Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Food Recall: Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens, Inc. (Moore, OK) recalls Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens Gourmet White Meat Chicken Salad (3-lb plastic tub), Allison’s Gourmet Kitchens Fruits and Nut Chicken Salad (3-lb plastic tub), Baker’s Kitchen Chicken Salad (3-lb plastic tub), Hill Country Fare, Deli Style Classic Ham Salad With Pineapple (12-oz plastic cup) and Hill Country Fare, Classic Chicken Salad With White Meat (12-oz plastic cup and 3-lb plastic tub), because these products contain undeclared potassium sorbate and/or sodium benzoate.
- Food Safety Recall: Kashi Company, part of The Kellogg Company, recalls Kashi Mediterranean Pizza (Product codes May 10, May 18, & May 19 followed by 2012NU), Kashi Roasted Vegetable Thin Crust Pizza (Product codes May 9 & May 14 followed by 2012NU) and Kashi Mushroom Trio and Spinach Thin Crust Pizza (Product code May 17 2012NU), because the pizza crust may contain fragments of plastic.
- Outbreak Alert (Oklahoma): The Tulsa Health Department is investigating four cases of E. coli gastroenteritis – two confirmed and two suspected cases – in Tulsa County children. Three of the four children attend Boston Avenue Church’s childcare center.
- Outbreak Alert (Colorado): The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Denver Public Health and Environmental Health departments are investigating three reported cases of Listeria in Denver since May 20th. Two of the three victims – a man in his 30s and a woman in her 60s – have died. All three outbreak victims are of Hispanic/Latino heritage.
- Allergy Alert: I.F.T.O. Canada (Toronto, ON) recalls Mamta Mom’s Best Punjabi Wadi (200g and 400g sizes), because the products contain undeclared wheat. The recalled products were sold from Iqbal Halal Foods, Toronto, ON.
- Allergy Alert: Lindt & Sprungli Canada recalls Lindt brand Lindor – Milk Chocolate With A Delectably Smooth Centre – 18 Pieces (100g; Best before 31 12 2011 L4510), because the chocolates contain undeclared tree nuts. The recalled products were distributed to retailers nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Heinz Canada (Leamington, ON) recalls Heinz Strained Beef with Broth (100ml glass jars; Best before 2013JA08, 2013FE17, and 2013AL07), Heinz Strained Chicken with Broth (100ml glass jars; Best before 2013JA09 and 2013FE18), and Heinz Strained Lamb with Broth (100ml glass jars; Best before 2013FE19), because some jars have a glass deformity that could break off during normal use. The recalled products were distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Ten Ren’s Tea & Ginseng Co. (Calgary) Ltd. recalls Tenren’s Tea Passion Fruit Juice, Litchi Juice and Mango Juice (2200mL; all codes), because they may contain DEHP. The recalled items were distributed to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutions in Alberta.
- Food Safety Recall: Chuang’s Co. Ltd. recalls Cosine brand fruit-flavored drinks and grape-flavored syrup (2-liter size), because they may contain DEHP. The recalled products were distributed to retailers, hotels, restaurants and institutions in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.
- Food Safety Recall: Ten Ren Tea Co. (Ontario) Ltd. recalls Tenren’s Tea Passion Fruit Juice (2200mL; all codes), Litchi Juice (2200mL; all codes) and Kiwi Jam (4.5-kg), because they may contain DEHP. The recalled products were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Ontario.
- Food Safety Recall: Possmei Canada Ltd. recalls Possmei brand fruit juices and jams, because they may contain DEHP. The recalled products were distributed to hotels, restaurants and institutions in Manitoba and Ontario.
- Food Recall (Ireland): Nordzucker Ireland recalls Siucra Caster Sugar (3-kg catering packs; batch code L5831RF01; Product of Germany), because the sugar is contaminated with salt.
- Import Suspension (Russia): Russia has suspended the importation of potatoes from Egypt due to health and sanitation concerns.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Cosway recalls Oriyen Nutri Grow (boy) Orange Drink Premix (330g; Use by August 13, 2013) and Oriyen Nutri Grow (girl) Cranberry Drink Premix (330; Use by August 13, 2013), because the products may contain DEHP. The recalled items were manufactured in Taiwan by Jin Zhuan Lifesciences Enterprise Co. Ltd.
- Food Safety Recall (Singapore): AVA announces the recall of Possmei brand of fruit juice concentrates after detecting DEHP in the products, and also has suspended the import of these products.
- Food Safety Recall (Philippines): The Philippines Food and Drug Administration has released a list of recalled food products contaminated with DEHP that were imported from Taiwan. Please navigate to the list for details of the recalled items.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0724): Shigatoxin-producing Escherichia coli were detected in deer (venison) salami from Italy. The contaminated salami was distributed to Austria and Singapore. There is no indication of brand name or production codes.
- Food Safety Recall/Seizure (Taiwan): Eight more DEHP-contaminated juices were discovered by the Shihlin District Prosecutors Office. The juices were produced by Jin Guoo Wang Food Co. The discovery resulted from a raid on Creation Food Corp, a distributor of Jin Guoo Wang’s juice products.
- Food Safety Advisory (Taiwan): Taiwan has suspended all food exports that are at risk of being contaminated with DEHP. The affected product categories include sports drinks, juices, tea drinks, fruit jams/jellies/syrups, and supplements in tablet, powder and capsule form.
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): Customers of a Toyama Prefecture outlet of the Gyukaku Korean-style restaurant chain became ill after eating at the restaurant on May 6th. Fifteen of the 20 affected diners have been lab-diagnosed with E. coli O157 infections. Local officials suggested that diners used the same chopsticks to cook raw meat slices at the restaurant and to eat them. This outbreak is unrelated to the deadly Japanese E. coli outbreak that occurred in April and was linked to a different Korean-style restaurant chain.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.