Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Azar Nut Company recalls Azar Mountain Trail Mix (Item #9613896, 2/5#; Date codes 10256, 10284, 10313, 10320, 10342, 10357, 11017, 11031, 11066, 11089, 11109, 11123, 11138, and 11144), because the product may contain undeclared milk. The recalled trail mix was distributed through various food service distributors in Florida, Montana, Colorado, California, Oregon, Idaho, Arkansas, and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall: Michel and Charles LeBlanc Fisheries (Cap-Pele, New Brunswick, Canada) recalls Michel and Charles LeBlanc Brand Smoked Split Herring (Production dates January 4, 2011 and April 14, 2011) because the product was found to be uneviscerated. The sale of uneviscerated or incompletely eviscerated fish is prohibited under New York State Agriculture and Markets regulations because Clostridium botulinum spores are more likely to be concentrated in the viscera than any other portion of the fish. The recalled products were distributed in Brooklyn and Bronx, New York.
- Food Safety Withdrawal: California-based 99 Ranch Market has removed two kinds of Taiwanese beverages from its 35 stores, because the products may be contaminated with DEHP.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: FDA seeks permanent injunction against BCS African Wholesale Food Supply LLC (Brooklyn Park, MN) and its principal officers. The requested injunction would force defendants to stop importing, processing, and selling seafood products that can put consumers at risk for botulism or other food safety hazards.
- Shellfish Growing Area Pollution Alert: Nine of Washington State’s commercial shellfish growing areas are threatened with closure this year due to pollution. The affected growing areas, by county, are: Grays Harbor (Pacific coast), Jefferson (Port Townsend), Kitsap (Dyes Inlet), Mason (Pickering Passage), Pacific (Naselle River), Pierce (Burley Lagoon, Filucy Bay), Skagit (Padilla Bay), and Snohomish (South Skagit Bay).
- Outbreak Alert: Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) is investigating an increase in cases of shigellosis originating in Lauderdale County.
- Outbreak Alert: Public health authorities in Amarillo, TX are warning residents that a “cluster” of seven cases of E. coli infections – all in children, mostly under five years of age – have been reported in Amarillo in the last few days. Four of the infected children have been hospitalized.
- Food Safety Alert: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is investigating a reported case of food poisoning in an infant who was fed baby food that was sold more than 9 months after its expiration date. The baby food was purchased at the Zellers store in Laurentian Power Center (Kitchener, ON).
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety (CFS) has ordered a recall of Sheng Shiang Jen Konjac Coconut Jelly, Taro Flavour (Manufactured in Taiwan by Triko Foods Co., Ltd.; all batches; all sizes), after DEHP was detected in a sample of the product. CFS also has announced a prohibition on the importation and supply of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Singapore): Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) orders the recall of Jin Guo Wan Peach Concentrate Juice (manufactured in Taiwan) after a sample fails a test for DEPH. AVA also has suspended the importation of Jin Guo Wan brand of fruit juice concentrates. These products are packaged in bulk and used as an ingredient for bubble tea.
- Food Safety Alert (Taiwan): The Taiwan FDA has published a list of ingredients (available for download) that were found to be contaminated with DEHP. Please navigate to the Taiwan FDA site for a link to the file.
- Food Safety Recall (Vietnam): On orders from the Vietnam Food Administration, New Choice Foods Company recalls products containing DEHP (imported from Triko Foods Co. Ltd., Taiwan).
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Kai Yuen Pharmaceutical Company recalls Well Tab (Manufactured in Taiwan by China Chem and Pharm Company, Limited), and Marching Pharmaceutical Limited recalls five Vitamin C and dietary supplement products (manufactured in Hong Kong using an ingredient from Taiwan that may contain DEHP) because the recalled products may contain DEHP.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.