Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Pet Food Safety Recall: Primal Pet Foods recalls Feline Chicken & Salmon Formula (4-lb; Best by 043112-17), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The product was distributed through retail stores throughout the USA.
- Food Safety Alert: CFIA is warning the public that the cancer-causing chemical DEHP (Di-Ethyl Hexyl Phthalate) is being added to certain foods and beverages imported from Taiwan. CFIA and Health Canada are working with importers and international health agencies to identify affected products.
- Food Safety Notification/Outbreak (EU #2011.0702): Enterohaemorrhagic Eschericia coli in cucumbers from Spain, packaged in Germany; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification/Outbreak (EU #2011.0703): Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in organic cucumbers from Spain; distributed to Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Luxembourg and Spain.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0705): Salmonella Senftenberg in fish meal with raw material from Denmark; distributed to Sweden.
- Animal Feed Safety Notification (EU #2011.0706): Salmonella Mbandaka and Salmonella Worthington in organic soy cake from Italy, via Germany; distributed to Sweden.
- Food Safety Notification/Outbreak (EU #2011.0707): Enterohaemorrhagic Escherichia coli in cucumbers from the Netherlands and Denmark; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0708): Parasitic infestation with Anisakis of frozen mackerel from Denmark; distributed to Italy.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0709): Histamine in canned mackerel in oil from Thailand; distributed to Greece.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall/Alert (Singapore): Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) suspends the import of Sunlight Brand beverages (product of Taiwan) after detecting DEHP in a sample of Sunlight Brand Star Fruit Juice. AVA has instructed the importer to remove the product from the market. Consumers who may have purchased the product are advised to discard it.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Cerebos (Hong Kong) Ltd recalls Brand’s Calcium Grow Chewable Tablets (product of Taiwan), because the strawberry juice powder and yogurt powder used as flavoring agents have been reported to be contaminated by DEHP.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Sara Lee recalls Sara Lee Gourmet Beef Lasagne and Sara Lee Gourmet Vegetable Lasagne, due to possible contamination with foreign material, including metal, plastic and cloth. The recalled products were sold in all major supermarkets nationwide, including Countdown, Woolworths, Foodtown, New World, Pak’n Save, Fresh Choice, and SuperValue, and were supplied to food service operators.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.