Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Fresh and Ready Foods (San Fernando, CA) recalls Asian Chicken Noodle Salad (7-oz. boxes; Sell by May 27, 28, 29 and 30), because the products contain egg. The recalled items were sold as buy-on-board items on domestic United Airlines flights.
- Allergy Alert: Transpecos Foods, LP (Pecos, TX) recalls Southern Home Diced, Shurfine, Food Club, Better Valu Breaded and Best Choice Gourmet varieties of Onion Rings, because the products may contain undeclared milk and/or egg. The recalled onion rings were distributed variously in South Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Texas, Alabama, New Jersey, Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri and Vermont. Please see the recall notice for details of which products were distributed to each of these states.
- Food Safety Recall: J&J Produce, Blackwater Produce and Primo Produce recall fresh whole cucumbers, sold under several different brand names, because the cucumbers may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled cucumbers were distributed to retailers, including Giant Eagle, and to foodservice distribution centers, including Monarch Food Group/US Foodservice for further distribution.
- Outbreak Alert: Infected chicks and ducklings are behind an eleven-state outbreak of Salmonella Altona, which has infected 25 people, ranging from less than one year old to 84 years old. Eight of the victims have been hospitalized. The first reported illness began on February 25th. The infected chicks and ducklings all were purchased from multiple locations of a nationwide agriculture feed store chain, and were intended either as pets or for backyard flocks to produce eggs. Illnesses have been confirmed from Indiana (1), Kentucky (3), Maryland (2), Minnesota (1), North Carolina (4), New York (1), Ohio (7), Pennsylvania (2), Tennessee (2), Virginia (1) and Vermont (1).
- Allergy Alert: Tokushin Enterprises Ltd. recalls Kasugai Peanut & You (KSG-MIX SEAWEED PEANUTS CRACKER), 98-gram packages, because the product contains undeclared fish and shellfish. The recalled crackers were distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba Ontario and Quebec.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (PRC): Importers have begun recalling sports drinks, manufactured in Taiwan, that may be contaminated with the carcinogen, DEHP.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.