Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Marché Alain Thibault inc., d.b.a. Marché Richelieu (Saint-Casimir, QC) recalls Pâté aux Poulet (chicken pâté), because the product contains undeclared eggs.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Christiansen & Partners recalls several varieties of Booja Booja Chocolate Truffles, because the products contain undeclared milk.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Anemonerne.dk and Fairfood recall Organic Spanish Cucumbers (Lot No. 11 119 4005 00), after German authorities detect E. coli O104:H4 in the cucumbers.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Mango recalls school cucumbers and ordinary cucumbers sold during May 2011, after German authorities detect E. coli in a cucumber which originated either in the Netherlands or in Denmark.
- Food Recall (Belgium): Tip Top recalls Tip Top brand Pignon de pin/Pine Nuts (Exp. date: 04-11-2011), because the nuts can leave a bitter taste in the mouths of certain consumers. There is no health risk associated with this recall.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Philippines): The Food and Drug Administration advises that it is monitoring sports drinks, fruit juices and soft drinks imported from Taiwan, after receiving information that some of these products may be contaminated with the cancer-causing agent DEHP.
- Food Safety Recall (China): A Shanghai importer is recalling YES brand sports drinks (made in Taiwan), because the beverages may be contaminated with the carcinogen DEHP.
- Outbreak Alert Update (Guam): A recent outbreak of food poisoning that struck 300 students at five southern schools in Guam was due to toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus. Egg salad sandwiches served during breakfast at the schools were found to contain the bacteria, according to lab analyses reported by the Hawaii Department of Health. All five schools were catered by King’s Restaurant.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (Australia and New Zealand): Sara Lee Australia Pty Ltd. recalls Sara Lee Beef Lasagne (1 kg, 2 kg & 3 x 200g sizes; Best before 25 NOV 2012), because the product may contain foreign matter, including metal, plastic and/or cloth contamination. The recalled products were distributed nationally to major supermarkets, independent grocery stores and food service outlets, and were exported to New Zealand.
- Food Safety Recall (Australia): Mures Fishing Pty Ltd. recalls Atlantic Salmon Terrine, 180g (vacuum sealed plastic package; Use by 31.05.11), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was sold in delicatessens, independent supermarkets and directly from Mures’ outlets in Tasmania.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.