Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Narala Bakery Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) recalls Halal Plain Cake and Halal Fruit Cake, because the products contain undeclared eggs. The recalled cakes were sold to various locations in the five boroughs of New York City.
- Food Safety Recall: Atalanta Corp. (Elizabeth, NJ) recalls Nazareth Classic Cheese and Nazareth Light Cheese (Product of Belgium; Lot Nos. 5030008, 5030009, 11350044, 11350045, 11350046, and 10840120; Expiry 3/13/2011 through 7/29/2011) because the cheeses may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled products come in bulk and were distributed in the North East region for sale in retail stores in random weight cuts.
- Food Safety Embargo (Illinois): The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has embargoed all products from Tran’s Tofu in Chicago after learning during a routine inspection that the company had been operating without hot water. IDPH inspectors also found a rodent infestation problem at the Tran’s Tofu facility. Embargoed products include all date codes of Fresh Tofu (Dau Hu Tuoi), Fried Tofu (Dau Hu Chien) and Fresh Soybean Drink (Sua Dau Nanh). The products are sold mainly to Asian grocery stores and restaurants in the Chicago area.
- Food Safety Enforcement Action: FDA seeks seizure of cheese products distributed by Brunkow Cheese of Wisconsin, Inc. (Darlington, WI) after FDA finds evidence of rodent infestation.
- Food Safety Alert: FDA warns the public not to feed SimplyThick (a thickening product) to infants born before 37 weeks, after receiving reports that some premature infants who were fed this product developed a life-threatening intestinal inflammation known as necrotizing enterocolitis. The cause of the adverse reaction is under investigation.
- Food Safety Alert: The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and Department of Health (DOH) today issued a warning to consumers to avoid eating carnivorous gastropods (snails, such as whelks, conchs and moonsnails) and the hepatopancreas (tomalley) of blue claw crabs and lobsters harvested from the following areas: Western Shinnecock Bay (Town of Southampton) and Huntington Bay, Huntington Harbor, Lloyd Harbor, Northport Bay, Northport Harbor, Centerport Harbor and Duck Island Harbor (Town of Huntington), due to the presence of marine biotoxins.
- Outbreak Alert: CDC’s Vessel Sanitation Program is reporting back-to-back outbreaks of gastroenteritis on board the Coral Princess (Princess Cruises). The first outbreak occurred during the April 24th to May 4th cruise. It affected 66 passengers and 3 crew members, and was due to Enterotoxigenic E. coli. The second outbreak developed on the May 4th to May 19th cruise, and affected 64 passengers and 3 crew members. The cause of the second outbreak is still under investigation; onboard Norovirus tests were negative.
- Allergy Alert: Pro-Amino International Inc. recalls Protilife Chocolate Truffle & Cream Bar (5 x 45g; Lot code PCC 12 11A, 2013 07), because the product contains undeclared peanuts.
- Allergy Alert: Quality Natural Foods Ltd. recalls Quality Brand Lemon Juice (250mL & 750mL; Lot #L-120410) MTR Garlic Pickle (300g; Lot 90829.QNF-02BB: SEP 2011), MTR Mixed Vegetable Pickle (300g; 91221.QNF-05BB: DEC 2011), and MTR LIme Pickle (300g; 91221.QNF-05BB: DEC 2011), because the products contain undeclared sulfites.
- Allergy Alert: CFIA warns the public that Ravi brand Amritsari Punjabi Wadi contains undeclared wheat, and has been recalled by the importers.
- Food Safety Alert: Health Canada warns parents, caregivers and healthcare providers not to feed SimplyThick to premature infants. FDA reports 15 cases of necrotizing enterocolitis, including two deaths, involving infants who were fed this product. Health Canada is not aware of any Canadian illnesses.
- Boil Water Advisory (Alberta): Alberta Health Services warns residents of Red Earth, Gift Lake and the Town of Slave Lake to boil water used for drinking, cooking or bathing/washing, or to use an alternative water source until further notice. The advisory was issued as a result of disruptions caused by wildfires.
- Food Safety Recall (France): CERF recalls unbranded Frozen Cheeseburgers sold in Auchan’s Self Discount department (6 x 125g packages; Expiry dates 26/04/2012, 27/04/2012, 06/05/2012, 09/05/2012), because the meat is contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.