Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Phoenix Import & Distribution LLC recalls Pentrexyl Forte Natural (UPC 893843001293; Lot #102050; Exp 04/14), because the packaging may cause this Dietary Supplement to be confused with an antibiotic. The recalled product was sold through retail stores in Texas.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public that additional Doctor’s CarbRite Diet Bars (2 oz; Chocolate Brownie, Toasted Coconut, rosted Cinnamon Bun, Chocolate Mint Cookie, S’mores, Raspberry Chocolate Truffle, Chocolate Banana Nut, Blueberry Cheesecake, Cookie Dough, and Lemon Meringue varieties; Best before dates up to and including June 30, 2012), and Universal Hi Protein Diet Bars (3 oz; Chocolate Brownie and S’mores varieties; Best before dates up to and including June 30, 2012) may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled product may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments Edesia Inc. (Saint-Hubert, QC) recalls Fumagalli brand Pronta Fresca Lonza Stagionata/Seasoned Dry Cured Pork Loin (100g pkg; Imported from Italy; Batch 119066; Best before 05/07/2011), because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled pork product was distributed only in the province of Québec.
- Food Safety Recall (Netherlands): Belgomilk (Moorslede, Belgium) recalls Saint-Martin-Classic cheese slices (200g; sold before May 11, 2011), because the manufacturer has found Listeria monocytogenes in some lots of cheese. The recalled cheese was sold in Lidl stores in the Netherlands, and is part of a larger recall, announced on May 11th.
- Food Safety Alert (France): Aude prefecture has temporarily forbidden the harvesting and sale of clams from Leucate pond on the Mediterranean coast, after routine microbiological testing revealed elevated levels of E. coli bacteria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0628): Salmonella Chester in kangaroo meat from Australia; distributed to Germany and Belgium.
- Consumer Product Safety Notification (EU #2011.0629): Migration of cadmium and of lead from latte macchiato glasses from China; distributed to Austria and Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0633): Excessive and undeclared benzoic acid in fruit jams from Turkey; distributed to Romania.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0634): Aflatoxins in ground nutmegs with raw material from Poland; distributed to Germany and Hungary.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0635): Excessive sulphite in frozen prawns from Ireland; distributed to Italy.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Healthcare Pharmascience Ltd. recalls Cyclovax Cream 5% (all lots; manufactured in Cyprus by Remedica Limited) after the Department of Health determines that a second batch of the product contains only 3.5% of the active ingredient aciclovir instead of the claimed 5%.
- Food Safety Alert (Malaysia): The Ministry of Health is investigating media reports that meat from dead pigs was used to make processed foods, including pork sausage, smoked pork, dim sum and pau.
- Outbreak Alert (Malaysia): Eight cases of food poisoning were recorded at National Service training camps during the first three months of this year, compared to three cases during the first quarter of 2010.
- Outbreak Alert (Nigeria): A staff member of the Independent National Electoral Commission has died of suspected food poisoning after eating a dish of rice served to him by one of the kitchen staff at the presidential lodge in Gusau.
- Outbreak Alert (Iraq): About 125 members of the Peshmerga in the Kurdistan region developed food poisoning after consuming milk and other Iranian made food. Reports of food poisoning traced to canned foods and other processed foods from Iran have also been recorded in other Iraqi cities.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): Eight kiwifruit workers in the Bay of Plenty have been isolated after a guest worker from Samoa was diagnosed as a typhoid carrier. Around 100,000 trays of kiwifruit are being dumped, because they may have come into contact with the worker.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Outbreak Alert (Dominican Republic): Health authorities are investigating 18 cases of cholera in densely populated neighborhoods of Santo Domingo, including La Cienega. The cholera outbreak, which crossed the border from neighboring Haiti, has sickened some 700 people in the Dominican Republic and killed 13 since last October.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.