Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Doctor’s CarbRite Diet (New Brunswick, NJ) recalls certain 2-ounce Doctor’s CarbRite Diet Bars and 3-ounce Universal Hi Protein Bars (Expiry dates on or before June 30, 2012), because the bars may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled bars were distributed nationwide through a variety of channels, including health food stores, gyms, and e-commerce sites. Please refer to the recall notice for a list of affected products.
- Allergy Alert: Oberweis Dairy, Inc. (North Aurora, IL) recalls Brownie Fudge Twirl Ice Cream (qt-size; Plant #17-61; all dates) because the product contains undeclared eggs. The recalled ice cream was distributed mostly through the company’s retail stores and through its home delivery service with limited distribution through seven grocery locations in Illinois and Wisconsin.
- Allergy Alert/Recall Update: USDA releases retail distribution list forSmithfield Packing Company’s recent recall of Portobello Mushroom Pork Loin products due to the presence of undeclared whey.
- Food Safety Recall: Goodness Gardens, Inc. (New Hampton, NY) recalls Goodness Gardens Chives (various sizes and packaging; Lot #0201111; Sell by date of May 6) after the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection detects Listeria monocytogenes in a sample of the product. The recalled chives were distributed in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Alabama, Illinois and Virginia, primarily to retail stores, and to one wholesaler in Pennsylvania.
- Food Safety Recall: Bimbo Bakeries USA, Inc. (Horsham, PA) recalls Entenmann’s bagged Pop’Ems donuts (Powdered, Cinnamon, and Rich Frosted varieties) and Bimbo 8-pack Donitas donuts (Sugared, Powdered, and Chocolate Frosted varieties). The Entenmann’s donuts (Code dates: May 11, 12, 15, 18, 19, 22, 25, 26, 29, 2011 and June 1, 2, 6, 2011) were distributed in Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah. The Bimbo products (Code dates: May 11, 12, 15, 18, 19, 22, 25, 26, 29, 2011 and June 1, 2, 6, 2011) were shipped to Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming.
- Food Safety Recall: Mountain Pure Water Company is advised by the Arkansas Department of Health to recall Great Value bottled water (16.9 fl. oz.; Sell by date of 10-06-11) after the agency finds a biological contaminant in the product.
- Food Safety Recall (EU): Belgomilk scrl (Moorslede, Belgium) recallsBelgolight, Bocholter fromage à pain, Brugge d’Or, Nazareth Light & Classic, Affligem Tranches and Belgolight Jeune cheeses (all product sold before May 11, 2011), after Listeria monocytogenes is detected in certain production lots. At least some of the recalled cheeses were distributed in the USA.
- Outbreak Alert – Cholera: FDA advises consumers, restaurant operators, commercial shippers and processors of shellfish not to eat, serve, purchase, sell or ship oysters from Area 1642 in Apalachicola Bay, FL, because the oysters may be contaminated with toxigenic Vibrio cholerae serogroup O75. Nine persons have been reported with illness. For eight, the illness was confirmed as caused by toxigenic Vibrio cholerae O75; laboratory confirmation is pending in the other person. All nine people reported consumption of raw or lightly steamed oysters that were traced back to Area 1642. The oysters were distributed initially in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and North Carolina; however, secondary distribution to other states may have taken place.
- Outbreak Alert – Salmonella: Kane County Health Department, the Illinois Dept. of Public Health Laboratories and other local health departments are investigating 10 cases of Salmonella Typhimurium illnesses with a matching genetic pattern, which have been reported in the state in the past two weeks. Two additional cases are awaiting lab confirmation. Cases in other states also have been identified. Seven of the affected people reported having eaten at Portillo’s in St. Charles, IL, during April. No specific food item has been identified. Portillo’s is a chain of casual dining restaurants with more than 30 locations in Illinois, one in Indiana and two in California.
- Allergy Alert: Gagan Foods International Limited recalls Haldiram’s Nagpur brand Gulab Jamun Indian Sweets (1-kg; All codes), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled product was distributed in Alberta, Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan.
- Food Safety Recall (EU): Belgomilk scrl (Moorslede, Belgium) recallsBelgolight, Bocholter fromage à pain, Brugge d’Or, Nazareth Light & Classic, Affligem Tranches and Belgolight Jeune cheeses (all product sold before May 11, 2011), after Listeria monocytogenes is detected in certain production lots. At least some of the recalled cheeses were distributed in Canada.
- Food Safety Recall (EU): Belgomilk scrl (Moorslede, Belgium) recalls Belgolight, Bocholter fromage à pain, Brugge d’Or, Nazareth Light & Classic, Affligem Tranches and Belgolight Jeune cheeses (all product sold before May 11, 2011), after Listeria monocytogenes is detected in certain production lots. At least some of the recalled cheeses were sold in Colruyt, OKay, Alvo and Spar retail stores. Please refer to the recall notices for additional details. The recalled cheeses also were distributed in Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Portugal, Russian Federation, Spain, the United Kingdom and the USA (EU #2011.0619).
- Pet Food Safety Recall (Belgium): B.K. SA (Versele-Laga) recalls Nutritional Balance Lamb & Rice all breeds Growth (1-kg: Lots OW 246, OW 320, OW 321; 3-kg: Lots OW 221, OW 320, OW 321, OX 039, OX 040; 15-kg: Lots OW 222, OW 249, OW 291, OW 312, OW 336, OW 356, OX 025, OX 055) after receiving reports that some puppies who were fed Lamb & Rice Growth experienced behavioral problems and, in some cases, epileptic seizures. According to the company’s web site, its animal food products are marketed in more than 75 countries.
- Outbreak Alert (Russia): As many as 202 people in Izhevsk have been infected with Salmonella after eating food in from the cafeteria and vending operations at Izhevsk City Electric Transport Enterprise. Nineteen of the victims are cafeteria workers; 158 are employed by Izhevsk Electric Transport, and an additional 25 people simply ate at the cafeteria.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0617): Altered organoleptic characteristics of frozen pike perch filets from Estonia; distributed to Finland.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Notification (EU #2011.0618): Excessive selenium in food supplement from the United Kingdom; distributed to Austria, Germany the Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0620): Dimethoate in fresh cucumbers from Greece; distributed to Greece.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0621): Formetanate and clofentezine in fresh peppers from Turkey; distributed to the Czech Republic.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0622): Aflatoxins in pistachio paste from Italy; distributed to Spain.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Enforcement Action (PRC): Food safety authorities in Dongguan (Guangdong Province) raided two plants producing illegal cooking oil, known as “gutter oil” after receiving tips from the public. The illegal oil is made from leftover oil that is dredged from gutters behind restaurants, processed and resold to other restaurants.
- Outbreak Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating two suspected cases of ciguatoxin poisoning that affected four people who consumed coral reef fish that was purchased from a fish stall in a wet market in Fanling.
- Outbreak Alert (Fiji): The Ministry of Health has imposed a temporary ban on all public gatherings in Bua province after recording 41 cases of typhoid in the province since January.
Australia and New Zealand
- Outbreak Alert (New Zealand): Health officials in Northland are monitoring an outbreak of Norovirus gastroenteritis that has been confirmed in one Northland rest home; four rest homes in Whangarei are under public health surveillance. As many as 283 people have either been confirmed or are suspected to be suffering from the viral infection.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.