Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Organic Food Bar, Inc. (Fullerton, CA) recalls certain Raw Organic Cinnamon Raisin Food Bars, Raw Organic Chocolate Coconut Food Bars, Raw Organic Oooatmeal Apple Pie Food Bars, Raw Organic Chocolatey Chocolate Chip Food Bars, Raw Organic Fiber Chocolate Delite Food Bars, Raw Organic Keerunch Crunchy Chocolate Chip Food Bars and Raw Organic Oohmega Cherry Pie Food Bars, because the products may contain undeclared peanut, through cross contamination of cashew butter provided by a former supplier. Please refer to the recall notice for expiry code and lot code details.
- Allergy Alert: Oberto Sausage Company (Kent, WA) recalls Lowrey’s Hickory Smoked Beef Jerky (3 individual snack packs of 6 beef jerky sticks; Best by 130412 01), because the product contains undeclared soy. The recalled beef jerky was produced on April 15, 2011 and was distributed to retail establishments in Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin.
- Allergy Alert: Bay Valley Foods, LLC (Pittsburgh, PA) recalls Great Value Reduced Sodium Chicken Noodle Condensed Soup (10.5-oz cans; Best By 09 29 12), due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled canned soup was distributed through Walmart stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia and Wyoming.
- Allergy Alert: Simply Asia Foods, LLC recalls Thai Kitchen® Noodle Carts (Sweet Citrus Ginger, Thai Peanut, and Spicy Thai Basil) and Simply Asia® Noodle Bowl (Roasted Peanut), because the products contain undeclared milk. The recalled Thai Kitchen Noodle Carts were distributed to retail stores nationally beginning October 1, 2009; the Simply Asia Noodle Bowl – Roasted Peanut was distributed nationally beginning September 23, 2010.
- Food Safety Recall: Six L’s (Immokalee, FL) recalls Cherry Berry Grape Tomatoes (packed in clam shells or 20 lbs. cardboard containers; Lot Code DW-H), after USDA detects Salmonella in a random sample obtained at a New York distributor. The recalled lot of grape tomatoes was harvested from and farm in Estero, FL and was distributed through retailers and to restaurants in North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, California, Georgia and Canada.
- Food Safety Recall: Taylor Farms Pacific, Inc. (Tracy, CA) recalls certain products made for Albertsons, Raley’s Safeway, Savemart, Sam’s Club & Walmart, because the products contain grape tomatoes that were recalled by Six L’s due to possible Salmonella contamination. The affected products were sold under the Albertsons, Raley’s, Signature Cafe (Safeway), Savemart, Sam’s and Wal-Mart brand names in various states. Please refer to the recall notice for detailed lot code and distribution information.
- Food Safety Recall: Satur Farms (Cutchogue, NY) recalls Satur Farms Cilantro (1/2 lb and 1 lb bulk bags; Lot code 6361), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled cilantro was distributed in New York City and Long Island to food service customers. None of the cilantro was supplied to retailers.
- Food Safety Recall: Rock Garden South, Inc. (Miami, FL) recalls Coosemans Worldwide Bunched Cilantro (UPC 0 33383 80104 9), after USDA finds possible Salmonella in Jacksonville, FL. The recalled product may have been distributed through Publix supermarkts in Florida, Georgia, Coastal South Carolina and Southern Alabama.
- Food Safety Recall: Quinault Tribal Enterprise (Taholah, WA) recalls all canned seafood products including all Quinault Pride and Quinault Tribal Enterprises canned Salmons, smoked and non-smoked; Tuna, smoked and non-smoked; Smoked Sturgeon; Minced Razor Clams; smoked Razor Clams; and smoked Steelhead, because they were not adequately processed according to FDA low-acid canned food regulations. Inadequate processing could permit the survival of harmful microorganisms such as Clostridium botulinum, with the potential for causing possibly life-threatening illness. The recalled products were sold nationwide through distributors and retail stores.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Recall: Giant Food Stores and Price Chopper alert consumers to a recall of Colace Laxative, 100mg Capsules (30-count). The recall was issued due to the product being out of specification.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Bristol-Myers Squibb recalls Coumadin® Crystalline, 5 mg tablets (Lot #9H49374A; Expiry September 30, 2012; bottles of 1,000 tablets). The recalled product was distributed to pharmacies for dispensing to patients in prescription quantities. The manufacturer initiated the recall after a single tablet was found to be higher in potency than expected.
- Marine Water Health Advisory (Update): The Oregon Health Authority lifts its health advisory for water contact at Cannon Beach (Clatsop County) after the bacterial contamination levels subside.
- Outbreak Alert: King County (Washington) Public Health warns residents of Snoqualmie Valley to “mind their hygiene and vaccines” after six cases of hepatitis A were reported in the Valley in the last three months. The source of the virus is not known. King County recorded a total of seven cases of hepatitis A in all of 2010.
- Allergy Alert: Simply Asia Foods/McCormick Canada (London, ON) recalls Simply Asia Roasted Peanut Noodle Bowl (240g; Best before MAY 10 12 B, APR 24 12 B, and JUN 21 12 B), because the product contains undeclared milk. The recalled product was distributed across Canada.
- Food Safety Recall: Six L’s (Immokalee, FL) recalls Cherry Berry Grape Tomatoes (clam shells or 20lb cardboard containers; Lot Code DW-H; Packed April 11, 2011), because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Grape Tomatoes originated from a farm in Estero FL and were distributed through retail stores and restaurants in several US states and Canada.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0565): Salmonella Dublin in frozen raw hamburger steaks from Denmark; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0567): Listeria monocytogenes in Lou Peyrou brand raw milk ewe cheese from France; distributed to France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, New Zealand and Spain.
- Allergy Alert Notification (EU #2011.0568): Undeclared hazelnut in chocolate egg from Italy; distributed to Finland.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0569): Salmonella Typhimurium (multiresistant) in frozen pork cheeks from Spain; distributed to Denmark.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Recall (Saudi Arabia): Belgomilk recalls Supramil 1 Brand Infant Powder Milk Advanced Formula (400g metal containers; Product of Belgium; Expiry 7/2011; Lot Code BN0014), because the product may be contaminated with Chronobacter (formerly Enterobacter) sakazakii, which can be harmful to infants’ health.
- Outbreak Alert (Japan): The Japan Times reports 38 cases of food-poisoning cases in Toyama Prefecture and two deaths since mid-April. The illnesses and deaths have been linked to a raw beef dish served at a Foods Forus Co. outlet. A highly toxic strain of E. coli O:111 was recovered from one of the dead boys.
- Outbreak Alert (India): Nearly 30 people in Dyavappahalli village have complained of vomiting and diarrhea, and may be infected with cholera. Mixing of sewage with drinking water is suspected to be the source of the outbreak.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Recall (New Zealand): Tasti Products Limited recalls Tasti Double White Choc Muffin Bakes (240g; Best Before 29 March 2012), because some of the bars may be contaminated with hard clear plastic from a machine guard. The recalled snack bars were sold on or after April 8th in Four Square, Write Price, Pak N Save and New World stores across the North Island only.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0567): Listeria monocytogenes inLou Peyrou brand raw milk ewe cheese from France; distributed to France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, New Zealand and Spain.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.