Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Wayne Farms (Decatur, AL) recalls frozen, breaded, fully cooked Italian-style chicken breast fillet products, because they contain undeclared egg. The recalled products were produced between August 3, 2010 and November 13, 2010 and were shipped – unbranded and under the “The Deli Best” and “Dutch Quality House” brands – for foodservice use nationwide and to distribution centers in New Jersey and Massachusetts.
- Allergy Alert: Cottage Grove Farmhouse Bakery (Cottage Grove, OR) recalls Wheat Sourdough Bread (Pull dates 03-31, 04-02 and 04-05), Oatmeal Bread (Pull date 03-31), and Garlic Basil Parmesan Bread (Pull date 03-31) because they may contain undeclared pasteurized egg white.
- Allergy Alert: Sassy Cow Creamery, LLC (Columbus, WI) recalls Blueberry Cheesecake and Butter Pecan Ice Cream (qt. and half-gallon cartons; Best by 9/17/11 or earlier) because it may contain undeclared peanuts or egg and soy. The recalled ice cream was distributed in retail stores in Wisconsin and Illinois.
- Food Safety Recall: Frankly Fresh, Inc. (Carson, CA) recalls its seafood line of products, because the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled product was distributed in California and Nevada through retail supermarkets. Some of the recalled items were sold under the Cedar Lane and Frankly Fresh labels in Food4Less stores, and under the Frankly Fresh label in Ralphs stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Arko Foods International (Los Angeles, CA) recalls Angelina Brand Smoked Roundscad, 8oz packs, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled product was distributed in California, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, New York, Texas, Maryland, and Florida through retail stores, supermarkets, and wholesale distributors.
- Food Safety Recall: Fresh Express recalls Bag Spinach, 9 oz. (Product codes starting with H081 and H082; Use-by dates of April 6 and April 7), due to a positive Salmonella result from random sample testing. The recalled spinach was distributed in Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Ohio and Maine, with possible redistribution in New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, Vermont, New Hampshire, West Virginia and DC.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Jennie-O Turkey Store (Willmar, MN) recalls approximately 54,960 pounds of frozen, raw turkey burger products (Use by DEC 23 2011; Lot codes 32710 through 32780) that may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products consist of 4-pound boxes of Jennie-O Turkey Store® “All Natural Turkey Burgers with seasonings Lean White Meat”. Each box contains 12 1/3-pound individually wrapped burgers. CDC reports that 12 people in 10 states have been infected with a multiple antibiotic-resistant strain of Salmonella Hadar after consuming turkey burgers. At least three of the outbreak victims reported eating Jennie-O Turkey burgers the week before their illness began. Samples of the implicated burgers were recovered from the homes of two infected individuals; both samples were positive for the outbreak strain. Jennie-O Turkey Store burgers were available in Sam’s Club nationwide.
- Health Supplement Safety Recall: AVNS Inc. recalls THE BEST Enhancement Supplement after being informed by the manufacturer (Drive Total Energy) that FDA lab analysis detected undeclared Sulfosildenafil, an analogue of Sildenafil, in a sample of the product. Sildenafil is an FDA-approved drug used in the treatment of male Erectile Dysfunction and may cause serious side effects.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Rhode Island Department of Health recalls all baked goods from DeFusco’s Bakery in Johnston, RI. Please see the recall notice for a complete list of food establishments that purchased baked goods from DeFusco’s. As of April 5, 2011, zeppole pastries from DeFusco have been linked to 61 cases of Salmonella illness (60 in Rhode Island and 1 in Massachusetts); 27 victims were hospitalized (5 remain in hospital). Thirty-one of the illness cases were lab-confirmed Salmonella infections. An inspection of DeFusco’s conducted on March 25, 2011 by Rhode Island’s Office of Food Protection revealed numerous Violations of Code, including the storage of ready-to-eat baked pastry shells in boxes that had been used to store raw shell eggs, and improper storage temperature of perishable products.
- Allergy Alert: Van de Water Raymond Ltée recalls Milupa Oatmeal Cereal – Apples, 227g (all lots where the label bears a “Gluten Free” claim), due to the presence of undeclared gluten. The recalled product was distributed through retailers nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Brandfusion Ltd. recalls “Krazy!” for Kernels Extraordinary Popcorn Sassy Salt & Vinegar seasoning (110g packages; all lot codes), due to the presence of undeclared milk protein. The recalled product was distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Cuisine V.M. Inc. recalls various ready-to-eat sandwiches, subs and tortillas (best before dates up to and including April 7, 2011), due to the presence of undeclared egg, milk, soy, sesame seeds, wheat, fish and/or sulphites.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is warning people with allergies to peanuts not to consume the Doctor’s CarbRite Diet Chocolate Brownie bars (56.7g; Code EXP101211), due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. The product may have been distributed nationally.
- Allergy Alert: Health Canada warns that two probiotic natural health products – Friendly Flora and Healthy Skin With Greens+ – contain undeclared trace amounts of milk from ingredients used in the production process.
- Food Safety Recall/Outbreak Alert: Amira Enterprises Inc. recalls certain bulk and prepackaged raw shelled walnut products (all Best Before dates; all lot codes), because the products may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled products include raw shelled walnuts sold from a bulk bin, prepackaged raw shelled walnuts (Amira, Tia and Merit Selection brands), Mistral Mix containing walnuts (Amira and Tia brands) and Salad booster containing walnuts (Amira and Tia brands). The recalled walnuts were imported from the USA and may have originated in California (see Amira web site). Thirteen people in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick have contracted E. coli o157:H7 infections after consuming raw shelled walnuts. Nine victims were hospitalized and two of them developed hemolytic uremic syndrome.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Semper AB recalls Småfolk Majspuffar (15g; All Best Before dates), because the product may contain undeclared traces of celery.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Sainsbury’s withdraws Freefrom Chocolate Sponge Pudding (Best before 13 April 2011), because the product contains low levels of undeclared milk protein.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Newdan Food Trading Ltd. recalls X-tra neutral marinated chicken breast fillets with added 13% brine (Product of Germany; Expiry date: 12/4-2011), due to possible contamination with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Joyce’s Irish Lean Country Bacon Ltd. recalls Joyce’s Fresh ‘N Tasty Traditional Home Cooked Ham, 300g packs (Batch codes 143 and 156; use-by date: 25.04.11) due to a possible inappropriate use- by date and risk of microbial cross-contamination during packing.
- Food Recall (France): Kerlys recalls Saint Eloi chez Intermarché cans of Céleri Râpé Assaisonné (grated, seasoned celery), due to a packaging defect that may result in perforation of the can and subsequent product contamination and spoilage.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Stryhns A/S recalls certain liver pâtés, due to lack of manufactur and expiry date stamps.
- Food Safety Alert (Belgium): The Federal Food Safety Agency (AFSCA) notifies consumers of the temporary closure of a food distribution facility at Jodoigne, due to improper storage of food products (including improper storage temperatures).
- Dietary Supplement Safety Alert (Sweden): The National Food Administration warns that the dietary supplement Redux Retinalin, 500 mg, has been shown to contain high levels of B vitamin nicotinic acid. Several adverse reactions have been reported.
- Consumer Product Safety Recall (France): Simnex recalls bottles of Soap Bubble Liquid (Product of China; Reference #6528), due to contamination with bacteria.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Health Protection is investigating the complaint of a woman who developed throat pain and vomiting immediately after drinking a bottle of distilled water bought from a petrol station. Preliminary lab analysis showed the presence of sodium hydroxide.
- Food Safety Enforcement (PRC): Nearly one-half of Chinese dairies inspected in a government safety audit have been ordered to stop production. The closures affect producers that account for about 10% of the market.
- Food Safety Alert (Singapore): The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore has suspended the import of fruits and vegetables from Japan’s Hyogo prefecture, after detecting radioactive contaminants in a sample of cabbage.
- Food Safety Alert (Korea): Korea has suspended the importation of Japanese agricultural products from Chiba, Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochiki and Gunma prefectures due to possible contamination with radioactive materials.
Australia and New Zealand
- Food Safety Alert (Australia): South Australia Health warns the public about the dangers of picking and eating wild mushroom, after Death Cap mushrooms (Amanita phalloides) were found in the Adelaide Hills.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Australia): JT Publishing Pty Ltd recalls Chao Jimengnan ‘SuperPowerful Man’ tablets (all batches), because the product contains the prescription-only ingredients sulfosildenafil and tadalafil.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.