Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Mai’s Bakery, Inc. (Monterey Park, CA) recalls Hopia Mongo and Moon Cake products, because they may contain undeclared egg. The recalled products were distributed in supermarkets in Southern California and Utah. Please see the recall notice for a detailed list of recalled products.
- Food Safety Recall: Circle City Marketing and Distributing (d.b.a. Candy Dynamics, Indianapolis, IN) recalls Toxic Waste® Short Circuits™ Bubble Gum (3.2 oz; Lot #15070SC12; Product of Pakistan), because the product contains lead in excess of permitted levels. The recalled product was distributed nationwide in the USA in retail stores and through mail orders.
- Food Safety Alert/Recall: DeFusco’s Bakery recalls baked goods, including zeppoles, which have been linked to a Salmonella outbreak in Rhode Island. At least 25 people are known to be affected throughout the state 10 people have been hospitalized. De Fusco sold zeppoles to American Bakery Supplies for further distribution.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Greenstone LLC recalls medicines labeled with Lot #FI0510058-A, including Citalopram 10mg Tablets and Finasteride 5mg Tablets, due to the possibility that incorrect labels were placed on the bottles by a third-party manufacturer.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Alert: FDA warns consumers to stop using Soladek, a vitamin-solution product marketed by Indo Pharma, S.A. of the Dominican Republic, because the product may contain dangerously high levels of vitamin A and vitamin D. Soladek cannot currently be marketed legally in the USA; however reports of adverse reactions and other information leads FDA to conclude that Soladek may be available illegally in the USA.
- Food Safety Recall: Circle City Marketing and Distributing (d.b.a. Candy Dynamics, Indianapolis, IN) recalls Toxic Waste® Short Circuits™ Bubble Gum (3.2 oz; Lot #15070SC12; Product of Pakistan), because the product contains lead in excess of permitted levels. The recalled product was distributed to a limited extent in Canada.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Vajra recalls 500g bags and 5Kg sacks of corn flour (Best before 18/10/2011: Lot 08.10/COM/040211 & 0810/COM/150311 (500g) and Lot 0909/CO/150311 (5Kg)), due to elevated levels of fumonisine B1 and B2.
- Food Safety Recall (Switzerland): Circle City Marketing and Distributing(d.b.a. Candy Dynamics, Indianapolis, IN) recalls Toxic Waste® Short Circuits™ Bubble Gum (3.2 oz; Lot #15070SC12; Product of Pakistan), because the product contains lead in excess of permitted levels. The recalled product was distributed to a limited extent in Switzerland.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (France): The distributor recalls BHOME Produit de Soin Capillaire ”Traitement Capillaire Brésilien à domicile” (Brazilian hair treatment kit for home use), due to the presence of elevated levels of formaldehyde.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Hong Kong): The Centre for Food Safety has prohibited the import of milk, milk beverages, dried milk, vegetables, fruits, chilled or frozen game, meat and poultry, poultry eggs, and live, chilled or frozen aquatic products — harvested, manufactured, processed or packed on or after March 11 from Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma and Chiba prefectures in Japan.
- Food Safety Alert (Singapore): The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore extends its suspension on the import of fruits and vegetables to include the prefectures of Kanagawa, Tokyo and Saitama. This means the entire Kanto Region of Japan is now suspended from exporting fruits and vegetables to Singapore.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.