Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Unified Grocers recalls one date code (Mar 26) of Cottage Hearth Stone Ground Wheat Bread (24 oz) and 7 Select 100% Whole Wheat Bread (24 oz) because they may contain undeclared milk. Cottage Hearth breads are distributed by Unified Grocers and other distributors to select independently-owned and operated retail grocery stores in Southern California and Arizona. 7 Select breads are distributed by Unified Grocers to select 7-Eleven locations throughout Los Angeles and San Diego counties.
- Allergy Alert: Seoul Shik Poom Inc. (Englewood, NJ) recalls Red Bean Bread (3-pack/2.82 oz.; Code #ES1120; Expiration dates of 08/15/2011, 09/30/2011, and 04/15/2012) due to the presence of undeclared eggs.
- Allergy Alert (Update): USDA releases updated retail distribution list for Kashi Southwest Style Chicken Products, which were recalled by the manufacturer due to the presence of undeclared egg.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): California Department of Public Health releases retail distribution list identifying the Costco locations that were supplied with cantaloupes recalled by Del Monte Fresh Produce N.A., Inc. The recalled cantaloupes have been linked to at least 12 cases of Salmonella Panama infections in four US states, including two cases in California.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): USDA releases retail distribution list for Seltzer’s Beef Lebanon Bologna that was recalled by Palmyra Bologna Company, Inc. due to contamination with E. coli O157:H7. The recalled Lebanon Bologna has been linked to at least 14 cases of E. coli O157:H7 illness in 5 US states. The contaminated meat was sold in Walmart stores (Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania), BJ’s Wholesale Club stores (New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina), Fry’s, Ralphs, Giant Eagle, and Giant stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Thai Golden Spice Inc. (Hayward, CA) recalls HANS BRAND Santra Candy, due to unacceptable levels of lead.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: USA Far Ocean Group Inc. (Alhambra, CA) recalls U-Prosta Natural Support for Prostate Health Dietary Supplement after FDA finds the prescription drug terazosin in samples of the product. The recalled product was distributed nationwide via retail stores, internet sales and mail order.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall: Shaping Beauty, Inc. (Southampton, PA) recalls Celerite™ Slimming Tea after FDA finds the prescription drug Sibutramine in a sample of the product. The products listed above were sold and distributed nationwide via the internet at http://www.shapingbeauty.com
- Food Recall: Price Chopper recalls Price Chopper Granola Bars (strawberry and mixed berry varieties), due to a high moisture content, which could promote mold growth.
- Food Recall: Food City recalls Assorted Food Club Fruit & Grain Cereal Bars.
- Allergy Alert: Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public that certain Chocolatey Chocolate flavour Raw Organic Food Bars have been recalled due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. The affected products are known to have been distributed in British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Quebec and Ontario, and may be distributed nationally. One allergic reaction has been reported.
- Allergy Alert: Marché Asselin (Montréal, QC) recalls Salmon Pâté and Tourtière Maison, due to the presence of undeclared egg and sulfites.
- Allergy Alert: Distribution Yvan Nadeau inc. recalls several products due to the presence of undeclared mustard, milk, egg, and/or sulfites.
- Food Safety Recall: Metro Plus (Saint-Jérôme, QC) recalls SU CRETONS VRAC (Best before 27 March 2011), due to contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Allergy Alert (Ireland): Food Safety Authority of Ireland warns consumers that Caffreys Easter Eggs (Covered Mallow Eggs) sold loose from display box contain egg that is not stated on the product label.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Burren Smokehouse Ltd. recalls Burren Smokehouse Smoked Salmon, whole sides, 500g, 200g and 100g packs (Batch code 1010x; Use by 31/3/11), due to the presence of low levels of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Dairy Crest Ltd. recalls Frijj Thick and Fresh Strawberry Milkshake (Use by 5 April 2011) due to the presence of low levels of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Cosmetic Product Safety Recall (France): French authorities have recalled Nanokeratin System Hair Therapy Treatment (Product of China; Lot #MD2001/11/10), due to the presence of an unacceptable level of formaldehyde).
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Laboratoire Chauvin recalls all lots of Cébémyxine and Atébémyxine eyedrops, due to levels of Polymyxin B that are out of specification.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Safety Alert (Singapore): The Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) has detected radiation in four samples of vegetables from Japan. AVA is extending its suspension on the import of all fruits and vegetables to include Tochigi, Ibaraki, Chiba and Ehime prefectures.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Bausch & Lomb (Hong Kong) Ltd. recalls all batches of Cebemyxine Eye Drops after routine stability testing by the manufacturer found the content of one of the active ingredients, Polymyxin B, to be lower than the specified level in some batches (Batches No:E2576, E1796 and E2826).
- Unauthorized “Health” Product Safety Alert (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority (HSA) alerts members of the public to the peddling of unlabelled bottles of black pills, touted for the treatment of a wide range of medical conditions such as arthritic and rheumatic pain, high cholesterol and hypertension. HSA’s analysis of these black pills revealed the presence of two undeclared western medicinal ingredients, namely dexamethasone and chlorpheniramine. At least two elderly patients have been reported to have fallen seriously ill after consuming these pills.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.