Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Kashi (La Jolla, CA) recalls Kashi Southwest Style Chicken entrees (10 oz.; Est. No. P-17644; UPC Code 1862729292; lot code of DEC28 11 RF B1), due to the presence of undeclared egg. The recalled chicken entrees were produced for Kashi by Request Foods, Inc. (Holland, MI) on December 28, 2010 and shipped to retailers nationwide.
- Food Safety Recall: World Variety Produce, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls Serrano Peppers (Product of Mexico; Lot #69073901), because the peppers may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled Serrano Peppers were sold from bulk displays in Walmart stores (Wisconsin, Montana, Utah and Wyoming) and Jewel-Osco stores (Illinois) between March 1, 2011 through March 18, 2011.
- Alcohol Prep Pad Safety Recall Update: Eli Lilly and Company warns that patients should not use the alcohol prep pads made by the Triad Group that are contained in the black starter kits for Forteo® [teriparatide (rDNA origin) injection] in the United States. The alcohol prep pads were recalled by the Triad Group due to contamination with Bacillus cereus.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: American Regent recalls all unexpired lots of Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection, USP, 4 mg/mL, 1 mL Single Dose Vials; 5 mL and 30 mL Multiple Dose Vials, because some vials of these lots either contain particulates or have the potential to form particulates prior to their respective expiration dates.
- Allergy Alert: Horyl’s Superior Sausage Company Ltd. recalls Horyl’s Superior Sausage brand Polish Sausage, Pickled Polish Sausage and Garlic Bologna (best before dates up to and including 17 March 11) due to the presence of undeclared milk. The recalled sausage products were distributed in Nova Scotia.
- Allergy Alert: CFIA warns the public that Chocolatey Chocolate Chip flavour Raw Organic Food Bars (Lot #01081610 and Lot #2071210) are being removed from the market due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. The imported product is known to have been distributed in Quebec and Ontario and may have been distributed nationally.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Mylan Pharmaceuticals recalls Lot #1037180 of Mylan-Minocycline 50mg capsules (bottles of 100) and Mylan-Amlodipine 5mg tablets (bottles of 100), due to a labeling error in which the Mylan Amlodipind tablet labels were mixed with Mylan-Minocycline capsule labels.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Biogan recalls Organic red lentils (Product of Turkey; Best before 24.05.2012) and Organic green lentils (Product of Turkey; Best before 30.10.2011), due to the presence of the pesticide Glyphosate.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Froosh ApS recalls Strawberry & Banana Smoothie (Batch L1040; Best before 08.08.2011), because a production error has resulted in fermentation of the product.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (France): Sanofi-Aventis France recalls Aturgyl brand Nasal Spray, 0.05% (Lot No. 211), due to contamination with Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong): Hui Tai Pharmaceuticals Co. Ltd, Sino-Asia Pharmaceutical Supplies Ltd and United Italian Corporation (HK) Ltd recall 12 batches of Concentrated Sodium Chloride Injection, USP 23.4% because of visible particulates found in the product.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Australian International Foods Pty Ltd, and Woolworths Supermarkets Limited recall Woolworths Homebrand Mini Vegetable Spring Rolls (Product of China; Best Before dates from the 13 Jun 2012 to 05 Jan 2013 inclusive), because the frozen spring rolls may contain undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was sold in Woolworths/Safeway/Food for Less/Flemings Supermarkets nationally from 19 August 2010 until 18 March 2011.
- Dietary Supplement Safety Recall (Australia): JT Publishing Australia Pty Ltd recalls Chao Jimengnan ‘SuperPowerful Man’ tablets after the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) detects the presence of the prescription-only ingredients sulfosildenafil and tadalafil. The amounts of the prescription-only ingredients are significant and may cause severe side effects.
- Herbal Supplement Safety Advisory (Australia): TGA advises Australian consumers that Fu Yuan Chun capsules, which are advertised over the Internet as being based on a traditional Chinese formula, have been found to contain therapeutic quantities of tadalafil (the active ingredient in Cialis). Tadalafil is a prescription-only substance in Australia, and may be harmful if taken without the supervision of a medical professional, particularly in patients with a history of cardiovascular disease.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.