Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert (Retail Distribution): USDA posts retail distribution list for red meat jerky products recalled by Old World Meats (Duluth, MN) due to undeclared soy, wheat and milk.
- Food Safety Recall: Sugar Valley Meats LLC (Sugarcreek, OH) recalls wieners, beef wieners and small links smoked sausages (Ohio Dept. of Agriculture Est. 165; sold through Sugar Valley’s retail store from February 23rd through March 15th), due to possible contamination with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall: Price Chopper announces recall of Clear Value Creamy Milk Chocolate Frosting, 16 oz. (UPC 36800-30133) due to mold contamination.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: American Regent Inc. recalls Concentrated Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, 23.4%, 30 mL Single Dose Vials and 100 mL Pharmacy Bulk Packs (see recall notice for affected lot codes) due to the presence of visible particulates in some vials.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: American Regent Inc. recalls Bacteriostatic Sodium Chloride Injection, USP, 0.9%30 mL Multiple Dose Vials (Lot #9330, 9599 and 9828), due to the presence of visible particulates in some vials.
- OTC Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: H&P Industries recalls all lots of Povidine Prep Pads, manufactured by H&P and sold under the Cardinal Health, Medical Specialties, VHA, Triad, Triad Plus, North Safety, and Total Resources private label brand names, as some of the pads have been found to be contaminated with Elizabethkingia meningoseptica bacteria. Use of contaminated Povidine Prep Pads could lead to life-threatening infections, especially in at risk populations, including neonates, immune suppressed patients, and surgical patients.
- Allergy Alert: Boucherie chez Manon (Saguenay, QC) recalls several ready-to-eat entrées (see recall notice for detailed list) due to the presence of undeclared milk and/or eggs.
- Allergy Alert: Transhing Investment Inc. recalls Kim Tu Thap Sriracha Chili Sauce (TS12-01-08-EXP11; EXP DEC-01-2011) due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Allergy Alert: Transhing Investment Inc. recalls Kim Tu Thap Sriracha Chili Sauce (TS12-16-08EXP2011/B; EXP DEC-16-2011), due to the presence of undeclared sulphites.
- Food Safety Recall: CGBI (Ajax, ON) recalls Jump 6 brand Strawberry Flavour Whey Protein (30g pouches; Codes 12.12 and 03364), due to possible Salmonella contamination. The recalled product was distributed to CGBI clients in Ontario
- Food Safety Recall: Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. recalls Kirkland Signature Date Nut Loaves (Costco Item #110382; sold between February 5th and March 15th, 2011 inclusive), because the product may contain pieces of finishing nails.
- Food Safety Recall (Luxembourg): Milupa recalls certain Aptamil and Milumil powdered milks due to excessive levels of certain vitamins and minerals. If these products are consumed by infants, there is a risk of constipation and, in more severe cases, vomiting and diarrhea. Please refer to the recall notice for details.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Urtekram International Inc. recalls Urtekram organic green lentils and Anglamark organic green lentils due to residues of the pesticide Glyphosate.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Herbal Medicine Safety Recall (Hong Kong and Macao): Hong Kong Department of Health warns the public not to buy or use a proprietary Chinese medicine named Pink Point Sexual capsule (HKP-02146), as it was found by the Macao authority to have excessive lead during its market surveillance. The product is manufactured by a Hong Kong licensed Chinese medicines manufacturer, CHEONG CHUN TONG FTY. HONG KONG, for use by males with sexual dysfunction.
Australia and New Zealand
- Chinese Herbal Product Safety Alert (Australia): Satibo capsules, advertised and sold over the Internet as an “All natural Chinese herbal formula” have been found to contain therapeutic quantities of tadalafil and hydroxyhomosildenafil (a derivative of sildenafil), both of which are prescription drugs used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.