Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Natural Choice Distribution Company Inc. (Oakland, CA) recalls certain Use By dates of All Real Wraps burritos, Superfresh Foods Avocado, Jack and Tomato sandwiches, Superfresh Foods Vegetarian Smoked Turkey sandwiches and All Fare and Square sandwiches, because the ready-to-eat products contain undeclared milk, wheat, soy and/or egg. The recalled products were distributed throughout California.
- Allergy Alert: Haddon House (Medford, NJ) recalls Asian Gourmet Cheese Rice Crackers (UPC 076606-710889), because the product may contain undeclared milk and food coloring additives used to create the cheese powder listed on the label. The recalled Rice Crackers were distributed by Haddon House to retailers in AL, CT, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MS, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VT, VA, Washington, DC, WV, and WI.
- Allergy Alert: Martin’s Famous Pastry Shoppe, Inc. (Chambersburg, PA) recalls various Nibble with Gibble’s brand chips and Kay and Ray’s brand chips (Sell by dates from February 9, 2011 through March 30, 2011), because they may contain undeclared soy protein. The recalled chips were distributed to retail stores, club stores and institutional/restaurant accounts in addition to mail order accounts throughout Alabama, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Massachusetts, Maryland, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Allergy Alert: Maya Overseas Food Inc. (Maspeth, NY) recalls Dry Fruit Kachori (8.75 oz. cardboard box; no production codes), because the product contains undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was distributed in NY, FL, NJ, CT, MA, VA, NH, NC, VT, DE, MD, GA, PA and Puerto Rico.
- Allergy Alert: DeBoles Nutritional Foods, Inc. (Shreveport, LA) recalls DeBoles® Kids Only Gluten Free Tubettini Corn Pasta (Lot codes: 22JUL11D1, 10NOV11D1 and 09JAN12D1) because it may contain undeclared whole wheat alphabet pasta.
- Allergy Alert: J&J Distributing (St. Paul, MN) recalls approximately 87 pounds of Cub Fresh Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip and Kowalski’s Markets Place Buffalo Chicken Cheese Dip (Sell by dates from February 23-25, 2011), because the products contain undeclared monosodium glutamate.
- Food Safety Recall: Pacific American Fish Co, Inc. (Vernon, CA) recalls Shishamo Roe Capelin (4L 5PC (23-28G) Wild, Pack 4/20TR, Lots 202885-2 & 201011-3), because the product has the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum. The recalled Roe was distributed in retail stores in California, Kansas, Hawaii, Washington, New York and Texas.
- Food Safety Recall: Petit Jean Farm (Morrilton, AR) recalls an undetermined amount of various meat and poultry products that were produced without the benefit of federal inspection. These products were sold through the Internet, as well as distributed to local markets and restaurants in Arkansas.
- Food Recall (Labeling): Cedarlane Natural Foods, Inc. (Los Angeles, CA) recalls approximately 1,050 pounds of chicken and noodle products, because the USDA mark of inspection does not appear on the package labels that are available to consumers.
- Food Recall/Withdrawal: Food City alerts consumers to the recall/withdrawal of Food Club Apple Cinnamon Fruit & Grain Bars.
- Food Withdrawal: Ingles Markets Inc. alerts consumers to the withdrawal of Organic Valley Butter #905788, 16 oz., due to an off-flavor.
- Food Supplement Safety Recall: Biotab Nutraceuticals, Inc. recalls EXTENZE nutritional supplement tablets (Lots 0709241 and 0509075), as some packages contain the undeclared drug combinations tadalafil and sildenafil or tadalafil and sibutramine.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Leong Kuba Sea Products, Inc. (San Diego, CA) that a November/December 2010 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Global Protein Foods, Inc. (Newark, Nj) that an October/November 2010 inspection of the company’s food processing facility revealed that the company’s soybean sprouts are adulterated within the meaning of section 402(a)(4) [21 U.S.C. 342(a)(4)] of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (the Act) in that they have been prepared, packed or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth or may have been rendered injurious to health. In addition, the inspection revealed serious violations of FDA’s Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Human Food (CGMP) regulation, Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 110 (21 CFR Part 110).
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Nachman’s Native Seafood (Redington Shores, FL) that an October/November 2010 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Dean Blanchard Seafood, Inc. (Grand Isle, LA) that an October/November 2010 inspection of the company’s seafood processing facility revealed serious violations of the seafood Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) regulation for foods.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Snow White Food Products, Inc. (Brooklyn, NY) that an August/September 2010 inspection of the company’s alfalfa sprout processing facility revealed the presence of Salmonella contamination in a sample of alfalfa sprouts. In addition, investigators documented conditions and practices that caused the alfalfa sprouts manufactured, processed, and stored in the company’s facility to be adulterated within the meaning of Section 402(a)(4) [21 U. S.C. 342(a)(4)] of the Act, in that the alfalfa sprouts were prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have been contaminated with filth or rendered injurious to health.
- FDA Enforcement Action: U.S. Marshals have seized about $200,000 worth of food products from Bedford Cheese Store Inc. in Shelbyville, TN, after FDA investigators found evidence of rodents throughout the company’s facility. The violations were described as “widespread and significant.”
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Roche Insulin Delivery Systems recalls the ACCU-CHEK® FlexLink Plus infusion set, because of the potential for under-delivery of insulin due to a kinked/bent cannula when inserting the ACCU-CHEK FlexLink Plus infusion set.
- Allergy Alert: Alimentation Lebel inc (d.b.a. Metro Plus, La Pocatière, QC) recalls pork sausage and pork & beef sausage, due to the presence of undeclared milk protein.
- Allergy Alert: Marché Fafard inc. (d.b.a. IGA, Saint-Césaire, QC) recalls crab-flavoured pollock salad (all Best before dates up to and including 28 February 2011), because the product contains undeclared milk protein.
- Food Safety Recall: Fifth Town Artisan Cheese Co. (Picton, ON) recalls Rose Haus Cave Aged Washed Rind Cheese (200 g packages; Lot Code 400411; all Best Before dates), because the cheese may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recalled Rind Cheese was distributed in Ontario.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): COOP Denmark /COOP Trading recalls COOP tortellini formaggio with cheese filling due to a labeling error. The packages contain meat, which is not declared on the label.
- Allergy Alert (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC recalls Morrisons Freefrom Jaffa Cake Slices (5-pack; all codes) because the product contains undeclared casein, a milk protein.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Tesco recalls Tesco Finest 3 Cumberland Sausages with Mash (500g), Tesco Finest Aberdeen Angus Cottage Pie (430g), Tesco Finest Pork and Ginger Beer with Mashed Potato (450g) and Tesco Finest Shepherds Pie (430g and 800g) because the mashed potato used to produce the items labeled with a “use by” date of 1 March 2011 contains small pieces of metal.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC recalls Morrisons’ Vale of Mowbray snack pork pies (four pack; Use by 24 February 2011), because the product may contain small pieces of blue plastic.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Tesco recalls Tesco Finest Classic Shepherds Pie (430g and 800g) and Tesco Finest Classic Aberdeen Angus Cottage Pie (430g) identified with a “use by” date of 01.03.2011, due to the possible presence of metal contamination in the mashed potato.
- Food Safety Recall (Ireland): Wells and Young’s Brewing Company Ltd. recalls Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, 500ml bottle (Lot #L1012; Best before 12/01/12), due to the potential risk of glass fragments.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Carrefour recalls Carrefour Discount brand frozen ground beef steaks (Imported from Ireland; Best before 22/01/2012), sold from February 4 through February 16, 2011 in Carrefour, Carrefour Market, Carrefour Contact, Carrefour City et Carrefour Montagne stores, because the frozen hamburger steaks may be contaminated with E. coli O26:H11, a shiga-toxin producing strain of E. coli.
- Food Safety Recall (France): E. Leclerc recalls Nos régions ont du talent brand Red Roussillon Apricots (65% fruit; Best before 02/11/13; Lots 2, 3, and 4), packed in glass jars, because the product may contain glass fragments.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Guy Cance recalls Guy Cance brand Rillettes et Fritons de Canards (sold in delicatessen departments from 22 December 2010 to 15 February, inclusive) because the product may be contaminated with Listeria. The recalled ready-to-eat food was available in Carrefour, Géant Casino, Intermarché, Leclerc, Système U stores in Aveyron, Cantal, Lot, Puy-de-Dôme, Seine-et-Marne, and Tarn.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Kerlys recalls TOP Budget brand cans of “very fine” and “extra fine” green beans, because some cans may have been punctured. The affected products were sold in Intermarché and Ecomarché stores.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): Arcadie recalls Cook brand Ground Black Pepper (Lots #T5833 and T6005), after Salmonella was detected in certain product samples. The recalled black pepper was supplied to Bio-Planet.
- Food Safety Recall (Belgium): La Société GEO recalls Onno brand Pork Chorizo “fort” (Best before 17/04/2011; Lot #0052424), after Salmonella was found in a sample of the product.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): WP Meat A/S recalls various minced meat products after detectingin a sample of the meat. The recalled minced meat products were sold to caterers and restaurants.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Royal Greenland Seafood A/S recalls Smoked Salmon and Smoked Halibut (Pack date 14-02-2011) because a Best Before date was omitted from the product labels.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Herbal Product Safety Recall (Saudi Arabia): Saudi Food & Drug Authority has recalled 16 products falsely promoted as herbal products, because they contain harmful and toxic substances.
- Herbal Product Safety Alert (Singapore): The Health Sciences Authority warns the public not to take the Malay and Chinese traditional medicines labeled as “Majun Dua Istimewa“, “Raja Maajun-Jerat Dan Seret Angin” and “Horkut Chooi Foong Hor Lok Tan [虎骨追风活络丹]” because they contain undeclared Western medicines.
- Allergy Alert (New Caledonia): Sealord Calamari Chips (400g; Best Before 03 Feb 2012; Batch Code 0246) has been recalled by the manufacturer due to the presence of undeclared peanuts.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Captain’s Choice Battered Fish Portions (480g; Best Before 02 Nov 2011; Batch Code 0214) has been recalled by the manufacturer due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. The recalled item was distributed nationwide in New Zealand.
- Allergy Alert (New Zealand): Sealord Calamari Chips (400g; Best Before 03 Feb 2012; Batch Code 0246) has been recalled by the manufacturer due to the presence of undeclared peanuts. The recalled item was distributed nationwide in New Zealand and exported to New Caledonia.
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Hung’s Trading Company Pty Ltd recalls Black Glutinous Rice Sesame Sweet Dumplings (454 g), Sesame and Peanut Sweet Dumplings (454g), Black Sesame Sweet Dumplings (454g) and Black Pearl Black Sweet Dumplings (300g) due to undeclared peanuts. The recalled Frozen Dumplings were imported from China and sold in various supermarkets in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and Queensland.
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Allergy Alert: Maya Overseas Food Inc. (Maspeth, NY) recalls Dry Fruit Kachori (8.75 oz. cardboard box; no production codes), because the product contains undeclared peanuts. The recalled product was distributed in Puerto Rico.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.