Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: f’real® foods expands its recall of f’real® Strawberry Banana Smoothies (Lot # 06/21/2012) produced at Smith Dairy Products Company (Orrville, OH). The expansion to additional states is due to customer input regarding the extent of their distribution areas. The recalled product was distributed in AK, AL, AR, CA, CO, DC, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, ND, NE, NJ, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, VA, WA, WI.
- Allergy Alert: Prime Choice Foods recalls specific lots of Garden of Eatin’® Multi Grain Sea Salt Tortilla Chips (9 oz bags), Garden of Eatin’® Multi Grain Everything Tortilla Chips (9 oz bags) and Garden of Eatin’® Multi Grain Blues Sea Salt Tortilla Chips (9 oz bags) due to the presence of undeclared wheat and soy.
- Allergy Alert: Gold Star Sausage (Denver, CO) recalls Johnson’s Chili (16 oz plastic containers) and Johnson’s Chili, Hot & Spicy (16 oz plastic containers), due to the presence of undeclared soy. The recalled products were packaged from Feb 15, 2010 to Feb 15, 2011 and shipped to wholesalers nationwide.
- Allergy Alert: Echo Falls recalls Echo Falls Smoked Salmon Pinwheels (6 oz.) due to the presence of undeclared MSG. The recalled product was sold in Price Chopper (Pennsylvania stores only) and Food City stores.
- Food Safety Recall: Hua Shing International Trading Corp (New York, NY) recalls Frozen Scda fish (400g vacuum packed plastic bag; Code #111; Product of China), because the fish was not properly eviscerated prior to processing and may, therefore, be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc. (Maple Grove, MN) recalls the anticoagulant Jantoven® Warfarin Sodium, USP, 3mg Tablets (Lot #284081; Expiration September 2012) after a single bottle was found to contain tablets at a 10mg strength. The recalled product was distributed to wholesalers, retail chains and independent pharmacies throughout the United States.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Czimer Foods, Inc. (Homer Glen, IL) that July, August and September 2010 inspections of the company’s food processing facility revealed serious violations of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) and associated regulations.
- FDA Warning Letter: FDA warns Juice Tyme, Inc. (Chicago, IL) that a July-September inspection of the company’s juice processing facility revealed serious deviations from the juice Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) regulation and the Current Good Manufacturing Practice regulation for foods.
- Allergy Alert: East-West Foods Distribution Inc. (Concord, ON) recalls Evald Collection Sauce Marinade, 310g (Product of Latvia; Lot code APR.01.11 L 02202), because it contains undeclared hazelnuts. The recalled product is known to have been distributed in Ontario, but may have been distributed nationally.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments JR (Montreal, QC) expands its earlier recall of Food House brand products (imported from the Syrian Arab Republic), because they may be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products include Tahini of Sesame (400g and 1000g size; Exp. 01/11/2012) and Premium Halawa (400g and 1000g size; Exp. 01/11/2012). The recalled products were distributed in Québec.
- Food Safety Recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency warns the public not to consume Smoked Meat, Jambon fumé à l’ancienne (Ham), and Capicollo sold from Cochon Cent Façons (St-Jacques de Montcalm, QC), because these products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The implicated products were sold over the counter from Cochon Cent Façons (St-Jacques de Montcalm, QC) from January 28 to February 7, 2011.
- Food Safety Recall: The Québec Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food warns the public not to consume Jambon à l’Ancienne (Best before 3 mars 2011), packaged by Supermarché P.A. (rue Du Fort, Montréal, QC), because the product is contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall: Les Aliments Naturels Des Quatre Soeurs (Gatineau, QC) recalls several soup varieties packed in 500mL glass jars, because the products were not prepared in a manner that would ensure their safety when consumed.
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall: Triad Group recalls Triad Group Sterile Lubricating Jelly (all lots, with expiration dates back to 2007) due to the possibility that the product may not have been sterilized properly. The recalled Lubricating Jelly was supplied to Medline Canada, Coloplast Canada Corporation, CAN-med Healthcare, Dismed Inc., Cardinal Health Canada and Omega Medical Canada for co-packing in with various products and kits, and was distributed nationwide to hospitals and retailers.
- Allergy Alert (Denmark): Urtekram International A/S recalls Tortilla Chips Cheese Organic, 125g (Best before 14-04-2011; Batch No. 30195; Product of Belgium), due to the presence of undeclared soy.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): CM Food A/S recalls Kalkunschnitzel Frozen (Produced 25-10-2010; Best before 31-10-2012), because the meat is contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): Wernersson Ost Denmark A/S recalls Pecorino Romano Cheese, 33% fat (200g; Lot No. L 357; Product of Italy) because the cheese is contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
- Food Safety Recall (UK): Aconbury Sprouts recalls its Organic Mixed Sprouts and Organic Rainbow Salad (Use by 19 February 2011), because the products are contaminated with Salmonella.
- Food Safety Recall (Denmark): System Fruit A/S recalls The Zen of nature, frugt.dk, and Banana Chips brands of banana chips after a sample was found to contain elevated PAH, a compound generated during heat treatment.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Sté Arcadie recalls Cook brand jars of Ground White Pepper (Lot #T6005 and T5833), because of Salmonella contamination.
- Food Safety Recall (France): Magasins Monoprix recalls Monoprix Gourmet Pots de Mousseline d’Epinards (Best before 19/01/2013), because the product may contain slivers of glass.
- Food Safety Recall (France and Belgium): Ste Dujardin recalls Saint Eloi brand Sachets d’Epinard Surgelés, 1kg (Best before 10/2012), due to the presence of traces of diesel. The recalled spinach was distributed in Intermarché and Ecomarché stores in Belgium.
- Food Recall (Denmark): Rolling Mill A/S recalls Finax organic pine nuts (Best before 29.11.2011), due to an off-taste.
- Food Withdrawal (Denmark): Popco recalls Organic microwave popcorn (3 x 100g packs; various expiry dates), due to a production error that resulted in a burnt oil taste.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Food Recall (Singapore): Mars Foods Australia recalls some batches of PODS Mars, Mint, Snickers, and Twix products due to premature staleness. The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) has required importers to withdraw the implicated batches of the products from sale.
- Herbal Product Safety Alert (Saudi Arabia): The Saudi Food & Drug Authority warns the public about two herbal products that have been found to contain high concentrations of undeclared Sildenafil, the active agent in Viagra.
Australia and New Zealand
- Herbal Product Safety Advisory (Australia): The Therapeutic Goods Administration advises consumers that SATURO capsules, sold over the internet, contains therapeutic quantities of Sildenafil, the active ingredient in Viagra. SATURO is marketed as 100% herbal in origin.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.