Here is today’s list of food safety recalls, product withdrawals, allergy alerts and miscellaneous compliance issues. The live links will take you directly to the official recall notices and company news releases that contain detailed information for each recall and alert.
If you would like to receive automatic email alerts for all new articles posted on eFoodAlert, please submit your request using the sidebar link.
- Allergy Alert: Shuckman’s Fish Co. (Louisville, KY) recalls Kentucky Bourbon Cheese and Valumarket Beer Cheese Spread (8-oz containers; various lot numbers and sell-by dates), because the cheese products may contain undeclared soy. The recalled items were sold in retail stores in Kentucky.
- Allergy Alert: Publix Super Markets recalls Publix Light Tiramisu Ice Cream (UPC 41415-13343; Lot code Sep 12 2011 B7 PLT 12-444), which may contain Publix Premium Coffee Almond Fudge Light Ice Cream, resulting in the presence of undeclared almonds.
- Food Safety Recall (Update): Sabor Farms (Salinas, CA) recalls four brands of fresh cilantro because the cilantro may be contaminated with Salmonella. The implicated product was sold between Jan 14th and Jan 28th under the labels Nature’s Reward, Ocean Mist, Tanimura & Antle and Queen Victoria. The cilantro was sold in retail stores, including Walmart, in California and several other states.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0112): Ethephon in red peppers from Spain, via Italy; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0113): High content of iodine in dried seaweed from Hong Kong, via the Netherlands; distributed to Germany.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0114): Insect infestation (moths) in roasted salted pistachios from Slovenia; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0115): Altered organoleptic characteristics (rancid smell) of poppy stuffing from Austria; distributed to Slovenia.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0116): Unauthorised colour Sudan 1 in paprika relish from Turkey, partly via Switzerland; distributed to Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands and Sweden.
- Allergy and Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0117): Too high content of colour E 120 – carmines and undeclared soya in smoked horse sausage from Belgium; distributed to France.
- Food Safety Notification (EU #2011.0118): Ethephon in peppers from Spain; distributed to Sweden.
Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands
- Pharmaceutical Product Safety Recall (Hong Kong and Singapore): Hoepharma (HK) Ltd. recalls all batches of its prescription-only acne treatment, T3 Actin Cream 0.1% (manufactured in Malaysia), after Singapore finds that the content of its active ingredient, tretinoin, is less than stated.
Australia and New Zealand
- Allergy Alert (Australia): Coles Supermarkets Limited recalls Coles Crumbed Fish Fillets, and Black Oreodory Fillets in Light Crispy Breadcrumbs (200g cardboard box; all date codes; Product of China), because the product contains undeclared peanut. The recalled fish products were sold in Coles stores across Australia.
- Food Safety Recall Update (New Zealand): Biofarm Products Ltd. recalls Biofarm Bush Honey Yoghurt, 1 litre (Best before 5th March 2011) after discovering the presence of E. coli in the product. The recalled yoghurt was distributed through all major food retail outlets and health food shops throughout New Zealand.
Some supermarket chains post recall notices on their web sites for the convenience of customers. To see whether a recalled food was carried by your favorite supermarket, follow the live link to the supermarket’s recall web site.
- Big Y® World Class Market®
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (US stores)
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- EDEKA (Germany)
- Food City
- Food Lion
- Giant Food LLC
- Gros Cidac (Italy)
- Hannaford Brothers Co.
- Harris Teeter
- The Kroger Company*
- Lucky Supermarkets
- Price Chopper
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Stop & Shop
- Sweetbay Supermarkets
- Top Food & Drug
- Tops Friendly Markets
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
- Whole Foods Market
- WinCo Foods
- Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc.